Saturday, October 6, 2012

iPhone 5 so far: One road warrior's two-week test





iPhone 5: holds up well after a couple of weeks' use -- with some gotchas.




(Credit: Apple )

Two weeks in, I've got a better feel for the iPhone 5, both good and bad.




After upgrading from the iPhone 4S to the 5 two weeks ago yesterday, I've been on the road -- bouncing between the east and west coasts. That's plenty of opportunity to test the iPhone 5's mettle.




The good, the bad, the meh:







  • Wi-Fi: This was the first gotcha. After arriving at my destination in Philadelphia, a Wi-Fi network I needed to access didn't take -- despite working fine with a host of other devices, including an iPhone 3GS and an iPad 2. As it turns out, this wasn't an iPhone 5 problem but an iOS 6 thing. And it affected my Retina iPad -- upgraded to iOS 6 -- too. The problem was fixed via some weird router firmware acrobatics. Upshot: Lots of frustration.



  • Battery: No complaints here, as my expectations weren't terribly high. I agree with CNET Reviews' take on battery life: no worse than the 4S. Maybe even a little better, considerin... [Read more]














No comments:

Post a Comment